This drink has become pretty famous over the last couple of months, so I decided to include its recipe in my blog.
Dalgona coffee is also known as whipped/fluffy/beaten or Korean coffee. It’s usually made with instant coffee, sugar, a bit of water, ice cubes and milk.
In this post, I will share a guide on how to easily make a Dalgona at home. I will also give you some cool whipped coffee ideas that you might enjoy as well.
How to prepare whipped Dalgona coffee?
- 2 teaspoons of instant coffee
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- 2 teaspoons of water (just so it covers the mixture of instant coffee and sugar)
- Milk. I use 4 fl. oz. (120 milliliters) of milk for my homemade Dalgona coffee. For a vegan coffee drink, just use a plant-based alternative – your beverage will taste just as good.
- Ice Cubes
Instead of using a whisk and whipping by hand or beating your coffee mixture with a hand mixer in a bowl, I recommend getting one of these mini battery-operated devices.
You can check this milk frother’s price on Amazon by clicking this link.
I like it as it’s rather inexpensive and I use it almost daily. By putting it to work it won’t take you 5 whole minutes to make just a single cup of Dalgona; you will prepare it in less than a minute instead, and spare yourself some muscle cramps.
With a frother like this, you can also make your milk foamy in no time, so it’s perfect for those who like having fluffy coffee drinks.
There are also rechargeable drink mixers, such as this one by FoodVille.
Follow these steps to make whipped Dalgona coffee:
- Pour 2 teaspoons of instant coffee into a tall cup.
- Add 2 teaspoons of sugar.
- Add a splash of room-temperature water so it covers the mixture of coffee and sugar.
- Use an electric milk frother or start whipping by hand with a whisk until thick foam forms. If you’re beating by hand it will take up to 5 minutes. If you use a battery-operated mini electric frother – not more than 50 seconds.
- Add ice cubes and milk to the cup in which you’re going to have your drink.
- Place the instant coffee foam on top of the milk by using a spoon.
You should be whipping in a tall cup as this will prevent splashing drops of the mixture on other kitchen surfaces when using the frother. If you want to make your fluffy drink by hand and you’re using a whisk, you should be beating the mixture in a bowl instead.
I recommend making your Dalgona coffee with coconut or almond milk. The sweet foam layer compliments the nutty taste of plant-based milk surprisingly well.
You can add a few drops of food coloring liquid to the instant coffee before whipping it. This way you can have the fluffy foam colored in your favorite color.
Here’s a photo of a purple beaten coffee made in such a way and served in a glass cup:
It’s worth noting, that I generally prefer whipping the instant coffee only for a bit. This way the top coffee layer isn’t as dry and it’s creamier and blends into the milk nicely.
Can you make it with ground coffee?
Many people wonder whether Dalgona coffee can be made without instant coffee or sugar.
I am not a fan of instant powder myself, so I tried making a version of the beaten coffee by using an unsweetened espresso shot.
With the help of an electric milk frother, you can, in fact, make whipped Dalgona with ground instead of instant coffee.
The produced foam wouldn’t be as stable compared to the foam that you’d get by using instant coffee.
Nevertheless, this is a perfect alternative for those who prefer high-quality ground beans when making their fluffy Dalgona.
Here’s how you can make a Dalgona without instant coffee:
- Pull a lungo espresso shot (2 fl oz, 60 ml), by using 7 g of ground coffee.
- Pour it in a tall cup.
- Use a mini electric frother until it turns into coffee foam.
- Add ice cubes and milk to a cup.
- Place the frothed coffee on top of the milk with a spoon.
As I mentioned, the foam made by whipping instant coffee is much more stable compared to the one made with the espresso shot.
You can also use coffee made in your drip maker, pour-over device, or single-serving machine.
It doesn’t matter which brewing method you use, if you make your Dalgona without instant coffee, the airy foam will start to melt faster:
The coffee eventually gets mixed with the milk.
Nevertheless, the prominent Korean drink will have enough foam on top, even if you make it with ground coffee as seen on the photo below:
Beetroot Red Velvet Dalgona
The Beetroot Red Velvet Dalgona is inspired by the beetroot latte recipes that gain more and more popularity.
It’s made by adding a teaspoon of beetroot powder to the mixture of instant coffee, sugar, and water, before whipping. When making this red coffee beverage I use one teaspoon of instant coffee, and a teaspoon of sugar not two of each.
Then you continue on with the same steps as those of making regular Dalgona.
After whipping you will get a fluffy dark red foam, which reminds me of a red velvet cake.
So I recommend trying this delicious treat, whenever you want to impress your guests with a cool-looking iced coffee beverage.
Now that you know that there are other ways to make a cup of whipped Dalgona coffee at home, you can start experimenting.
Try coloring your foam, use plant-based milk, or don’t make it with instant coffee.
Drop me a comment below and tell me whether you liked the fluffy coffee recipes I shared.
- 2 teaspoons of instant coffee *
- Water - a splash
- Milk - 4 fl. oz.
- Ice Cubes
- Pour instant coffee into a tall cup.
- Add the sugar.
- Add room-temperature water; just enough to cover the coffee and sugar mix.
- Whip until thick foam forms.
- Add ice cubes and milk to a glass.
- Place the fluffy instant coffee foam on top.
*To make the drink within a minute use a hand drink mixer/milk frother. You can find it in the "Recommended Products" section
*You can also make a Dalgona coffee with espresso, but the foam will be much lighter and unstable. Check out the post to see photos.
*Add a teaspoon of beetroot powder to the mix of instant coffee and sugar to make an cool-looking Red Velvet Dalgona Coffee.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
FoodVille MF02 Rechargeable Milk Frother Handheld Foam Maker with Stainless Whisk for Cappuccino, Latte, Bulletproof Coffee, Keto Diet, Protein Powder, Matcha
Zulay Original Milk Frother Handheld Foam Maker for Lattes - Whisk Drink Mixer for Coffee, Mini Foamer for Cappuccino, Frappe, Matcha, Hot Chocolate by Milk Boss (Clover Green)
Organic Beet Root Powder | 3lb Bulk Supplement | Raw Superfood | Vegan, Non-GMO, Gluten Free | by Horbaach